Monday, July 10, 2017

Uncles

The drive back from Twain Harte was difficult.  The reality of Uncle Dick's passing, even though it's been over a month ago, was heavy on, and deeply unsettling to, my heart. 

When I got home last night I wrote down the following words and felt much lighter even amidst tears.

Uncles

I hope you know how much you've meant
the gratitude I have for time spent

talking together, or just hanging out
showing me what manhood was about

And now one's gone and one remains
And I know it won't be the same

Even though we were together less than apart
you both occupy so much of my heart

For since I was a little boy
you've been a comfort; a source of joy

And while it could perhaps be worse
you must forgive my uneven verse

It's just my strange way of confessing
the admiration I wasn't always expressing

And so with this thought, I will close
and hope it's not too 'on the nose'

I give thanks for each to God above
for your displays of fatherly love

No comments: