Monday, March 19, 2007

Something I Hate

First off, Aunt Martha always told me I shouldn't use the word "Hate". This was one of her favorite mini-lectures, right up there with the evils of sugar *and* artificial sweeteners (no sweets for the wicked?). That said, I've looked up the word hate, and it means "extreme dislike", and as I won't be applying the term to individuals, but rather to things, I think I'm on pretty solid moral ground with this post (uh, wait, was I just being arrogant?). Anyway....

I hate...Glossy Christianity: I think the production quality of Jesus' ministry was nil. Can you see Jesus scouting out a locale, saying to Himself "Yeah, I think with the dramatic backdrop of this historic place, a few lepers to heal, and a couple of numbskull scribes to throw me some lame questions which I will summarily knock out of the park, I should be able to really do a great work for the Father!"

Yet production quality seems to be the rallying cry of Evangelical Christianity in America. How much energy goes into 'producing' a worship service? Into 'producing' successful (i.e. lots of people in attendance) church programs?

Of course, being thoughtful and deliberate are important, and God wants us to use our minds. Still, there is a thin yet critical line between being thoughtful and considerate and being contriving and manipulative. In the former instance we leave the results to God and seek to honor Him with the means while in the latter we don't trust God with the results and as a result feel licensed to play with the means in order to achieve the "good" results we're after (aka the end justifies the means).

I'm not saying churches shouldn't use modern technology or modern music, I'm just saying I think we've all gone a bit overboard trying to be 'hip' (that means 'dope' for all you millenials) and impressive. I know the generation under 40 is very 'visual' and that they are impressed by high-quality multi-sensory presentations. But as impressive as our powerpoints and videos may be, they will never have the power or impact of God's truth and love, and if we spend too much time tweaking dials to produce a desired effect we might miss the chance to do great things for God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coming back to Evangelical Christianity after over 2 decades of, well, other things, I am astonished by the amount of "glossy Christianity" that didn't exist before. The worship service at my church is carefully choreographed, there are two huge screens in the front and many smaller ones throughout the sanctuary, and a sound/lighting station occupies part of the balcony. Apparently there's more visual set up for the post-modern Sunday evening service that the rest of us don't see. The lights! The music! The... whatever.

Like you, I'm of two minds about this. I appreciate how we can use technology to bring God's word to people. I'm also careful not to be too taken in by it. In the end, I can feel God's presence just as strongly in a quiet, dim church, praying with a small congregation and singing an old hymn with no instrumental accompaniment.